Sunday, August 2, 2009

Coconut Macaroons

I have not really been a fan of coconut until the last couple years, when I learned how to make Thai curry with the milk. And then a few Halloweens ago, I tried an Almond Joy from my son's candy stash - and I was sold! So, now I like coconut, but for health reasons it's only an occasional treat.

I wanted to make an unusual cookie for my afternoon tea, and this easy recipe hit the spot!

Coconut Macaroons
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
5 1/2 cups flaked coconut
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil.

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, coconut and salt. Stir in the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla using your hands until well blended. Use an ice cream scoop to drop dough onto the prepared cookie sheets.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until coconut is toasted.

1 comment:

LouAnne said...

Deanne: I clicked on your link in your email about my baby food jars and discovered you are a blogger - a food blogger no less. So far that makes 2 of us in this area. My blog is www.lulusgirl.blogspot.com and it's all about my mum's recipes and some newer ones she would have loved! Coconut Macaroons are one of my fav cookies! By the way, your 2 boys are darling. I have 3 girls and my youngest granddaughter just started kindergarden last month too!
smiles, LouAnne