Monday, November 24, 2008

Olive Tapenade


I love olives, don't you? What could possibly be better than putting black olives on your fingers and pretending you have long fingernails? Well, I'm not 8 anymore, so I had to find something better to do with them, so here goes.

I learned this dip from my sister in law (she's from Boston) several years ago at our extremely traditional family Thanksgiving. We are talking the same menu every year - turkey, mash, candied yams, green bean casserole, apple salad and cranberry sauce from a can. I think that was the same year she brought Oysters Rockafeller, which went over like a ton of bricks. But this one was a hit, and I've been making it every year since. Thanks, Lori!
It calls for ripe black olives, but if you have an adventurous bunch, use half kalamata.

Olive Tapenade
1 can black olives drained
2 t. capers
1 T. chopped fresh parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T olive oil
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. Tabasco

Pulse all in Cuisinart until blended. Let sit overnight in fridge.

5 comments:

Chocolate Shavings said...

What a great looking tapenade! I've tried with a mix of different kinds of olives and it's delicious too.

Cherie said...

I love tapenade! but I usually buy it! never occurred to me to make my own! I am going to try this!

javapot said...

Looks great. Haven't tried this before but I like olives so I'll have a go at this soon.

Anonymous said...

yummmy..yummmy
i like ur blog
Drug Addiction Treatment

Margo Kelly said...

thank you for the recipe. I am going to try it this week. I'm doing the Flat Belly Diet and it calls for tapenade ... but I can't find it in any local stores!