Thursday, June 26, 2008

Fresh Figs with Honey Balsamic Syrup


Just wanted to post this picture today because after watching Top Chef, Hell's Kitchen and The Next Food Network Star (yes, I am a reality TV cooking show junkie), I've noticed that careful plating is half the battle. I can't believe that I missed the special Food Network's "challenge" episode about Food Styling because I'm really interested in that.

Now for the little plate. I went to the Antioch Farmer's Market today and found fresh Black Mission Figs from Tachella Farms. They were so gorgeous that I was tempted to eat them plain, but decided to step it up a notch and topped them with a honey balsamic syrup. I used equal parts balsamic and honey, 1/2 tsp each of black pepper and thyme. Simmer until reduced to a syrupy glaze. Cut the figs in half and lovingly pour the sauce over the figs. Flower arrangement is cute, but optional.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

mmmmmmmm ... figs. I like mine wrapped with a strip of prosciutto. I'll have to try your honey balsamic syrup.

Cathy Reaves said...

How come your blog now says "foodstuff"? I am confused!

Deanna S. said...

Yeah, I changed my blog name again (so fickle!) I feel good about this one, so I promise this will be the one that sticks! I was wondering if anyone would notice...hehe.

cindy* said...

these are gorgeous! i bet they would be lovely with a bit of the aforementioned proscuitto and some goat cheese as well. yum.

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Great idea, thank you!! :)

Kana said...

I watched that Food Stylist episode!!! Food styling is my weakest link. Your plate of figs look lovely!