Sunday, June 8, 2008

Grilled Tri-Tip and Rajas con Crema


IMHO, Tri-tip is best done on the grill. We have a special seasoning that we use called "Susie Q's Santa Maria Style Seasoning" which we rub on the outside - it gives the meat a wonderful smoky flavor. I'm not going to go into detail about the grilling because it's not my forte and it's best left to Tall Guy, who is getting to be quite the Mr. BBQ. Maybe I should change his name to Mr. BBQ. We always serve our tri-tip in the Santa Maria tradition of slicing thin and topping it with your favorite salsa and a squirt of lime juice. This time a side of peppers completed the meal.

Check out these interesting bell peppers:

I found them at the farmers market in Concord and the woman who sold them to me could not give me any information except that the light purple ones were "very sweet" (and they were, especially when cooked). When I sliced them open, I was suprised that their flesh was about half the thickness of the red and green bells from the grocery store. They almost seemed like a cross between a bell and a poblano.

Anyways, I decided to do some sauteed Mystery Peppers in a classic Mexican style. I've never made this before and it turned out really good! I call it Rajas con Crema and here is how I did it:

Rajas con Crema

Sliced peppers of your choice

1 tsp olive oil

salt, pepper and/or favorite seasoning

1/4 cup milk

1 clove minced garlic

Heat oil over HIGH heat, add peppers and seasoning and let them get almost black before giving a stir. Once they start to soften up, turn the heat to low and add the garlic and milk. Simmer until the garlic is soft and half the milk evaporates.

No comments: