Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Grilled Radicchio with Pecans and Chevre


This was my lunch today. I ate every last bit, so I think it was a success. It will also take care of my "new ingredient for the week", a concept that I am trying to uphold by using an ingredient that I've never cooked with. While I've had radicchio tossed into a salad, it has never been the feature ingredient and I have never bought a head of it at the store.

The grilling takes the bitter edge off of the radicchio and the sweet and sour dressing adds the needed tang. Earthy pecans and creamy goat cheese are a perfect compliment to the salad.

Grilled Radicchio with Pecans and Chevre
1 head of radicchio, sliced into thin wedges
olive oil to coat
1 Tbsp. honey
2 Tbsp. aged balsamic vinegar
splash of lemon juice
salt/pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. chopped pecans
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese

Coat sliced radicchio with oil and grill on a pan or BBQ until brown on the edges, but not soggy. Meanwhile mix the honey, vinegar, lemon juice and salt/pepper together and once the lettuce is plated, pour the dressing over it. Add chopped pecans and goat cheese. Serves 1-2.

No comments: