Monday, February 18, 2008

Green Beans - Asian Style

I got so excited about my new "hobby" of photographing my food, that I couldn't wait 'til dinner to make something pretty. This is my creation for a side dish. As you can see, I'm playing with background props as well -- the wine was my Valentine's gift, as well as some filler flowers from my V-day bouquet. It was shot on "portrait" auto setting with natural light from a nearby window and back-filled with kitchen lighting.



Green Beans & Mushrooms with Asian Citrus Glaze

1 tsp. olive oil
1 lb green beans
1 cup sliced mushrooms
Glaze:
2 T. Oyster Sauce
2 T. Chicken stock
1 tsp. fresh ginger
1 tsp. chopped garlic
1 T. squeezed citrus juice
1 tsp. honey, to taste
cornstarch-water mixture

Directions: Microwave green beans in some water, covered with plastic wrap for 3 minutes. In the meantime, saute the mushrooms over high heat. In a small saucepan, heat all glaze ingredients for 5 minutes. Thicken with a mixture of cornstarch and water. Drain green beans and add to mushrooms. Stir in half the glaze and mix to coat. Put on a serving dish and drizzle rest of glaze over the top. Garnish with lemon zest and/or sliced almonds.

No comments: