Saturday, February 16, 2008

Testing...Hello World

Hello there. It's official. I've given in to the extreme gravity pull that is blogging. I don't expect anyone to read this, but what the heck? My inspiration for this blog will be cooking, photography and things that tickle my funny bone.

I've been perusing blogs lately such as "Fat free Vegan Kitchen" and reading up a little on food photography and food styling. It is a field that I am extremely intrigued by. While I have a Nikon D80 on my wish list, right now I am making do with an Olympus point and shoot. This is the best I can do.


Here is a photo of Bean Soup with Kale that we had for dinner tonight, along with an english muffin. This was a simple soup, yet satisfying and tasty. I have to say that when my darling husband saw me setting up the shoot on our counter, he really thought I was nuts.

This was my first venture with kale. A Wikipedia search informed me that this is the most nutrient-rich veggie around, high in anti-oxidents, beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, lutein and reasonably rich in calcium. My new goal is to try one new fruit, veggie or grain every week. Should be interesting.....

Bean Soup With Kale

INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
8 large garlic cloves, crushed or minced
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
4 cups chopped raw kale
4 cups low-fat, low-sodium
chicken or vegetable broth
2 (15 ounce) cans any type of beans
4 plum tomatoes, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add garlic and onion; saute until soft. Add kale and saute, stirring, until wilted. Add broth, beans, and all of the tomato, carrots, herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer 30 minutes. Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired.

No comments: